A Ridiculously Simple Way to Establish Habits - Wow!

So, I've stumbled upon a dead-simple, almost mind-numbing way to establish a new habit.

I told my wife, "I'll give you Rs 600 for every day that I don't wake up at 6 AM and go for a jog."

Every single day after that - I've done that - even if I slept late. In fact, this has happened now for 12 days. Wow, suddenly without a problem - this habit's on!

Then I told my wife, everyday that I don't make the calls I need to make or complete the schedule I've set for my goals - I'll give you Rs 1000.

Suddenly, my productivity increased manifold. My mind doesn't prefer social interaction - especially business related - as of now - but mind or no mind - ever since the Rs 1000 challenge - I'm doing EXACTLY what I need to do - like clockwork.

I'm wowed by the power of this 'negative consequence' tactic.

I mean rewards are something my mind has seldom responded to. The response has been lukewarm at best. And what are rewards anyway? I mean I am an adult and I can anyway afford to buy all those rewards anyway - without achieving anything. A treat where I can eat anything - even junk food - well, that's not good for my body. An experience like a magic show or a concert or a movie? I could do that any time - it just doesn't motivate me enough. In fact, rewards just don't motivate my mind enough. Points on a table motivate me more than such rewards - so I still do give myself points everyday for doing useful and beneficial things like reading for a while everyday.

But for tough, course-changing habits, negative consequences are the way to go.

In fact, I'm feeling really powerful after adopting this tactic. You see, all these negative consequences are only required at the beginning. Soon enough, the new habit pattern gets established and subconscious mind-work takes over. The habit is not that tough to maintain at all - after it's been repeated enough times.

I am excited about using this technique with other goals as well. For instance - writing here everyday, regulating my masturbation habits or absolutely anything that's good for my body, mind and soul that I want to add to my life.

Well, I'm glad this thing's working.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's OK to Waste Your Time

What to Do About This Jogging Thing

A Short, Silly Poem!