What to Do About This Jogging Thing

Some days ago, around 9 days ago to be precise, I started jogging in the morning. I have woken up at 6 AM, gotten out and walked a bit and then jogged for a while. I've usually been home by 6:40-6:45 AM.

Now, the first few days, it was just fine. In fact, I was exceptionally happy about doing this the first two days.

Day 3 onwards my mind started getting bored. I changed my jogging path. Instead of jogging in the large park near my house, I jogged along the road for around a kilometer.

Then my mind got bored of that too.

Then I took a different path to the park and jogged in the park again.

Today, I woke up on time but my mind was protesting too much. I gave myself some points (I give myself points daily - why and how is for another day) for doing something my mind did not want me to do - and went out anyway. I took a completely different path - I didn't go to the park at all. Also, I didn't jog, I just walked a bit. Then I came back after 15 minutes and cycled on my exercise bike for 15 more minutes.

Which was fine.

But my question is: Should I say 'OK' to my mind's urge to want more variety and interesting stuff here? Walking is quite fine with me but when I run, my mind is not happy NOT getting distracted.

Now, normally my policy is to give in to my mind selectively - because my mind wants to chill, have fun, not take risks, be lazy etc.  What about this situation?

Here are three options I can spot:

1) Continue jogging in the same park - don't change anything and watch your mind getting frustrated and bored. Watch...till the boredom dissolves.

2) Continue jogging in the same park - don't change anything - in fact jog even more than earlier but listen to some audiobook or podcast episode. 

3) Don't go out, just exercise on the exercise bike and listen to some audio.

What I did notice today was that riding the exercise bike was even more boring for the mind than jogging in the park.

If extra time is getting spent, if I am procrastinating on something, if I just don't want to face a fear or be courageous even thought it is required - then my mind should not be allowed to have a say. It is in the nature of the mind to be lazy and to be extra-comfortable.

In the case of cooking however, listening to an audio or a podcast helps me feel excited about cooking - an otherwise mundane task.

Similarly, in the case of running/jogging/exercising, listening to audio can be helpful in making an otherwise productive and useful activity more interesting - an activity the mind looks forward to.

So, well, let's see: tomorrow I plan to jog in the park while listening to audio. I'll finalize the audio and download it onto my phone in advance.

That's my decision for now.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's OK to Waste Your Time

A Short, Silly Poem!